Thursday, July 4, 2013

Churlish

Reading:   1 Samuel 25

I read this chapter yesterday.  I typically write my blogs about the scriptures I read on the previous day so that I might ruminate for a time prior to my contemplative address...that being said; it was my birthday and an all-round good day with good spirited fun and celebration.  Needless-to-say, as I read my scriptures (just prior to my curry meatloaf birthday dinner), I came across the word "churlish" and I could not quit laughing...

1 SAMUEL 25:3
3 Now the name of the man was Nabal; and the name of his wife Abigail: and she was a woman of good understanding, and of a beautiful countenance: but the man was churlish and evil in his doings; and he was of the house of Caleb.
Okay, so a little background, there is a 3-minute skit by Kay & Peele called Substitute Teacher where the temporary teacher mispronounces several names and words.  Near the end of the skit, the teacher describes one of the students as "churlish" and I, along with everyone in my family and I'm sure the vast majority of the 28-million+ individuals who have seen the skit, thought the word was another mispronunciation of say childish, surly, or something of that ilk.  I read the verse and immediately discovered that I had been wrong in my assumption and that "churlish" was indeed an actual word.  was a real word.  I laughed and then shared the verse with everyone in the house - they laughed as well.  For the remainder of the evening I continuously referred to all as churlish.

It was hard to concentrate after the grand discovery but it was a significant chapter in that David ends up with a new wife, Abigail, after her "churlish" husband, Nabal, dies (he of course defied David and suffered the wrath of God with an early demise).

CHURLISH:  Boorish, Rude, Mean, Difficult to work with

There you have it - and still funny!

Happy Independence Day!!

~Kipling






No comments:

Post a Comment