Saturday, April 12, 2014

Guise of Bravery

Reading:   Isaiah 3

Who are we?  Do the people we are acquainted with know who we are by our clothing, money, job, and other masquerades of the natural man or are we known by our works, our spirit, our faith.  Do your closest friends, your wife, your children know who you are, really?  Have you told them?  Can you tell them?  These are serious questions that need personal contemplation and more then likely action.

I know that my close friends know me as someone completely different than those who don't.  My appearance does not lend itself to being an approachable guy and I'm okay with that, my kids seem to be okay with that, and, for the most part, my wife is okay with it (although I'm sure she would like me to be more social).  The question for me, and all of us, is whether or not our personality changes when stripped of all the trappings (clothes, jewelry, cars, accolades, titles, etc)?  Will we lose our sense of being?  Will our confidence be diminished?  Who will we become?

The scripture I chose from today's reading really brings to light the need to confront who we are, what others see in us, and ultimately, who we are when we stand before God - without the excess of man...

ISAIAH 3:18
18    In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon, 
I love the idea that all theses trappings are a source of bravery, it is so true!  For so many the clothes we wear, the car we drive, the school we attend, food we eat, our bank account and many other things are a representation of who we are and give us psychological confidence and strength over those of less material worth.  But we are not better!  When we stand soul-bared before God we are only the sum of our works.

Who are you?

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment