Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Shunammite Lessons on Faith

Reading:   2 Kings 4

I wrote an extensive blog on this chapter.  I edited paragraphs time and again, rethought ideas over and over, and despite numerous rereads, I just couldn't find closure in what I was trying to convey.  So, I'm scratching it all and approaching my thoughts anew...

Faith is the first principle of power.  I have discussed this point often and believe it is my own personal mantra (of sorts), despite my somewhat lack of said faith.  I have no doubt in the power of the priesthood and have felt that power course through me in times of blessings.  I recently gave a blessing to a distraught individual who had just lost a parent and during that blessing there was no doubt that the deceased parent was in that room and speaking words of comfort through me.  That experience, and many many more, have given me a testimony, and a high level of faith, in regards to priesthood blessings.  Yet, other aspects of my life are greatly lacking in faith and need attention.

This chapter shed some light on the scale of faith; what beliefs are possible as opposed to those that are of a lesser strength.  The Shunammite woman (here on referred to as SW) was a very faithful woman who listened to the promptings of God and the true whisperings of her heart.  She acted on personal revelation and did not question why - just did...

2 KINGS 4:8-10
8 And it fell on a day, that Elisha passed to Shunem, where was a great woman; and she constrained him to eat bread. And so it was, that as oft as he passed by, he turned in thither to eat bread. 

9 And she said unto her husband, Behold now, I perceive that this is an holy man of God, which passeth by us continually. 

10 Let us make a little chamber, I pray thee, on the wall; and let us set for him there a bed, and a table, and a stool, and a candlestick: and it shall be, when he cometh to us, that he shall turn in thither. 
SW was a faithful, righteous woman, who did things as directed by the spirit - unselfishly - without question.  She had complete faith in this aspect of spirituality and yet, in other areas of faith, she was quite lacking.  Elisha wanted to bless SW for her kindness but, being the unselfish kind, she wanted for nothing and, though she appreciated his willingness to help, she respectfully declined.  After some discovery, Elisha came to understand that SW had no children and her husband was elderly.  He then knew how to bless her and discussed it with her.  Here is where an area of faith-lacking was exposed...

2 KINGS 4:16
16 And he said, About this season, according to the time of life, thou shalt embrace a son. And she said, Nay, my lord, thou man of God, do not lie unto thine handmaid. 
SW knew who Elisha was, even called him "...thou man of God," but still could not fathom such a miracle - she lacked the faith.  Still, it happened, she conceived and raised a child.  Now the tale could end there but it goes on and magnifies the scale of faith quite poignantly.  SW experienced an absolute change in the level of her faith.  She experienced a miracle and her level of faith in regards to miracles became as complete as her faith in regard to spiritual promptings and personal revelation.

Fast forward several years...her son, much older, sustained a head injury and died in SW's arms.  Here, now, we see the result of her increased, absolute, faith.  SW immediately laid her son on the bed she had prepared for Elisha and then sought the prophet of God with great haste.  She found him and, showing her increased faith, asked him for his assistance.

Elisha restored life to the child, hours, if not days, after his death occurred.  Upon the recovery of the boy, Elisha called in his servant...

2 KINGS 4:36-37
36 And he called Gehazi, and said, Call this Shunammite. So he called her. And when she was come in unto him, he said, Take up thy son. 

37 Then she went in, and fell at his feet, and bowed herself to the ground, and took up her son, and went out. 
What level of faith would prompt someone to believe that death was not the complete end - the utmost and SW had that faith!  I particularly like the end, "...took up her son, and went out." She accepted the miracle in stride and continued on.  She had no doubt that such a miracle was possible and was not overly astonished when it did occur.

Ultimately, the point here is to emphasize the idea that faith is not a singular spiritual entity.  There are many chambers of faith and each chamber needs focused attention.  I have faith in God and absolutely believe that He speaks through me when I'm giving a blessing.  My level faith in the practice of fasting, church attendance, personal prayer, these areas all need more focus in my life.  

I believe I am a faithful man but is my faith complete, no.  Several chambers in the heart if my faith need work and ever will!

I'm much happier with the blog now...quite pleased that I trashed the first, despite the labor.

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment