Friday, September 13, 2013

What Just Happened?

Reading:   2 Kings13

This is one of those chapters that goes something like this:

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah -lightning bolt- blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ....

In-other-words, a lot of droning, snooze-worthy, genealogical, can't recall, blandness but smack dab in the middle -BAM- there is a bit of magical wonder that leaves you confused, "...What just happened?"  This chapter was a terrific example of such an occurrence.  In the middle of the, uh, I honestly can't remember and don't care to reread, bland stuff, hidden like a cleverly laid trap, are these two verses...

2 KINGS 13:20-21
20 And Elisha died, and they buried him. And the bands of the Moabites invaded the land at the coming in of the year. 

21 And it came to pass, as they were burying a man, that, behold, they spied a band of men; and they cast the man into the sepulchre of Elisha: and when the man was let down, and touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood up on his feet. 
Seriously...the chapter went from a mundane list of kings, successors, their acts of blah blah blah then those two incredible verses and right back into another chain of who cares (okay, I'm being harsh.  I do care and I'm sure I will find meaning and noteworthy sustenance in these other verses on another day but today they just wore me down).

Elisha died!? Really...why was this not a bigger event? And why was it smothered in a chapter of mud?  Oh, and thought I might mention, yeah, a dead guy was hidden in the grave and he came back to life when he touched Elisha's bones - thought you might like to know.  UNBELIEVABLE?!!  I think the death of Elisha and the incidental brought-back-to-life bit are two pretty awesome events and it is sad that they are buried.

Also, with all the fiction out there about the searches for the Holy Grail, Solomon's Temple, Ark of the Covenant, etc. I am overwhelmingly aghast that there has been no search for the bones of Elisha (here proven to revive the dead).  I may just add, no, I am adding, Elisha's Bones to my list of book ideas.

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment