Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Choose to Be Different!

Reading:   Proverbs 20

I have a lot of experience when it comes to the follies of intoxication, not from the perspective of a drunk mind you, but as a bouncer.  So many experiences, stories, anecdotes, and memorable moments that I could write a novel (I did in fact, BOUNCER, buy it, read it).  Anyway, I've seen the stupidity of intoxication up close and personal - this verse is right on!

PROVERBS 20:1
1    Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. 
Earlier today, as I contemplated which of my more interesting stories to relate as a sort of compactor to the veracity of the verse, I heard an anecdote from the book Endurance, which fits perfectly (I was listening to the book on Audible).  As a quick background, Shackleton, the leader of a trans-Antarctic expedition, overheard some of the crew members discussing their predicament (the ship was frozen solid in ice and had not moved in 5-months).  The men seemed confident that the immobile ship could withstand the extreme pressure from the thickening ice and, though frightening, all would be well.  Shackleton sat down next to the men and shared a story (I shall paraphrase as I could not find the script to copy).

A hungry mouse found an unattended tankard of beer, dove in and drank his fill.  Thoroughly smashed, the mouse exited the tankard of ale, puffed out his chest and said, "Where's that cat?"

After relaying the story, Shackleton looked at his men and walked away.  How perfect is that?  Alcohol is indeed, without doubt or question, one of the greatest deceivers!  In closing I want to share a quote from Russell M. Nelson taken from his address, Addiction or Freedom (1988 October General Confernce)...
 Choose to be different; you will be blessed both physically and spiritually. 
That is it...

~Kipling



No comments:

Post a Comment