Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Omni is the man!

Reading: 1 Nephi - Mosiah 29

So there is no way I am going to attempt to recap everything, watch the movie or go to church or simply read it yourself and catch up! However; I do want to point out one bit that really caught my eye and gave me a new found respect for a little known scribe, Omni...here is a guy that wrote three whole verses and yet I love their simplicity and ultimately what they say about Omni as a person....

Omni 1:1-3

Behold, it came to pass that I, Omni, being commanded by my father, Jarom, that I should write somewhat upon these plates, to preserve our genealogy—

Wherefore, in my days, I would that ye should know that I fought much with the sword to preserve my people, the Nephites, from falling into the hands of their enemies, the Lamanites. But behold, I of myself am a wicked man, and I have not kept the statutes and the commandments of the Lord as I ought to have done.

And it came to pass that two hundred and seventy and six years had passed away, and we had many seasons of peace; and we had many seasons of serious war and bloodshed. Yea, and in fine, two hundred and eighty and two years had passed away, and I had kept these plates according to the commandments of my fathers; and I conferred them upon my son Amaron. And I make an end.

So here is a self proclaimed, "wicked man" who has not kept the commandments of the Lord and yet he fought numerous battles to preserve his people and held on to the record of his people, despite his failings as a man, and even conferred the record upon his son no doubt extolling the importance of it with great reverence.  Why?  He must have had a testimony, a faith building experience that gave him a core belief in God and a desire to do as his father, Jarom, had asked. 

Omni is a great man and an example of a warrior and faithful being despite his failings!

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment