Monday, January 7, 2013

Jacob's Ladder

Reading:   Genesis 26-28

When I read the verse about Jacob's dream of a ladder to heaven, I immediately thought of the creepy 1990 American horror film, Jacob's Ladder, starring Tim Robbins.  Now I realize that thoughts and imagery from this film are not the most redeeming thing one wants floating around in the head during scripture study; but, I'm an interesting guy and refuse to hide the idiosyncrasies of my mind.  Anyway, back to Jacob's Ladder, the movie not the scripture, I recall that there was a drug given to soldiers in Vietnam and years later, after the war, those still alive, were suffering from horrific flashbacks and grotesque hallucinations all leading up to a bizarre ending.  I bring this up because I read the scripture and the movie immediately jumped out in my mind.  I recalled the inquisitive stirring it brought to me as a young man and I felt compelled to inspect...

Is there a deeper meaning, a literary riddle behind the dream?  Is there more to the phrase than a mere connection to a dream.  I mean, " Jacob's Ladder" does sound full, doesn't it?  Like full of inner meaning, more in depth than what is on the surface...I had to find out.  So, as any good amateur literary investigator would do - I Googled it...

Before I go any further let me drop the verse in question.  In this verse, Jacob (who is the son of Isaac, the very same Isaac that was nearly sacrificed on the alter by his father, Abraham) has fled from his home after receiving a blessing from his father that was meant for his older brother, Esau.  His father and mother direct him to seek out his uncle Laban and to find a wife.  He departs in order to find a wife within the covenant and to evade the wrath of Esau.  When night falls, Jacob lies down on a pillow of stones...

GENESIS 28:12

12    And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it. 

Back now to my study of Jacob's Ladder as a more conspiratorial enigma.  Google produced several interesting links (nothing conspiracy worthy though).
  1. First, of course, were several links to the Tim Robbins movie (wouldn't recommend it to the easily disturbed, overly sensitive, or anyone with something better to do).  No connection whatsoever to the biblical dream, as I recall anyway (not sure I want to watch it again to verify that as fact).
  2. An awesome wooden toy that produces a kind of illusion as it operates - interesting because a similar device was found in Pharaoh's tomb so it has ancient ties and may have been around in Jacob's time.  Here is a link so you can make one for yourself:  woodcraftarts.com/jacob.htm 
  3. There is some conjecture that the Led Zeppelin song Stairway to Heaven (#31 on Rolling Stone's top 500 songs of all time) was written as an allegory to Jacob's ladder but, after reading a number of direct quotes from Jimmy Page and Robert Plant (no mention of Jacob or a ladder), I tend to disagree.
  4. Finally, there are a good deal of Biblical scholars with varying explanations on the dream but nothing of worthy significance (a couple were way out in bizarro world though).
Unfortunately I was unable to find any hidden meaning or deep dark uncovered mystery relating to Jacob's Ladder - sorry.  Ultimately, I have to side with the idea that the ladder represents faith and the journey one must take to reach the true knowledge of God.  And when I say journey, I mean a long, difficult, arduous ascension...a ladder that reaches from the Earth to the heavens is no quick climb.  My view may weigh heavily from my recent devouring of The Lectures on Faith but I'm sticking to it.  

Here is an appropriate explanation from Elder Marion G. Romney:
Jacob realized that the covenants he made with the Lord ... were the rungs on the ladder that he himself would have to climb in order to obtain the promised blessings-blessings that would entitle him to enter heaven and associate with the Lord" ("Temples-The Gates to Heaven," Ensign, Mar. 1971, 16). 
And a great quote from Joseph Smith (not specific to Jacob's Ladder but still relevant to the dream).
When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the gospel-you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the grave. (HC 6:306-7.) 
No matter how you attach your perception to the discussion of Jacob's ladder, keep in mind that the ascending part can only be performed and accomplished by you!  Maybe we should refer to the dream as Jacob's Labor...

~Kipling

Next:   Genesis 29-35


No comments:

Post a Comment