Saturday, January 12, 2013

Twelve Sons of Israel

Reading:   Genesis 42

Alright I'm officially confused (I can't keep all the names organized in my brain).  I was planning to discuss Joseph's tears when his brothers showed up to buy corn but I have been distracted by my confusion as to the lineage of Israel.  I thought Joseph was the youngest but I've discovered that it was Benjamin (Rachel's second son).  Anyway I'm skipping the tears and making a study guide to remember the twelve sons of Jacob (a little backtracking).

GENESIS 35:22-26
22    And it came to pass, when Israel dwelt in that land, that Reuben went and lay with Bilhah his father's concubine: and Israel heard it. Now the sons of Jacob were twelve: 
23    The sons of Leah; Reuben, Jacob's firstborn, and Simeon, and Levi, and Judah, and Issachar, and Zebulun: 
24    The sons of Rachel; Joseph, and Benjamin: 
25    And the sons of Bilhah, Rachel's handmaid; Dan, and Naphtali: 
26    And the sons of Zilpah, Leah's handmaid; Gad, and Asher: these are the sons of Jacob, which were born to him in Padan-aram.

1.  Rueben - Leah 
2.  Simeon - Leah
3.  Levi - Leah
4.  Judah - Leah
5.  Dan - Bilhah
6.  Naphtali - Bilhah
7.  Gad - Zilpah
8.  Asher - Zilpah
 9.  Issachar - Leah
10.  Zebulun - Leah
11.   Joseph - Rachael
12.  Benjamin - Rachael

R - S - L - J - D - N - G - A - I - Z - J - B

There, so, using sports as a memory tool (soccer, basketball, hockey), we get the sentence:

Real Salt Lake Jacked Denver NugGets And Iced Zebulun, Joseph, & Ben


Memorize it...

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment