Monday, January 21, 2013

Vexation of Moses

Reading:   Exodus 5

When I first read this verse I was somewhat taken aback by the tone Moses used in addressing God.  He was slightly accusatory and, to my surprise, angry with God...

EXODUS 5:25
23    For since I came to Pharaoh to speak in thy name, he hath done evil to this people; neither hast thou delivered thy people at all. 
...Right?  A little edgy there Moses.  The thing that captured my attention most, after contemplating the verse for awhile, was the humanity of Moses - he is, after all, just a man.  Have I been angry with God?  Absolutely!  I too have found cause to be frustrated with God and have shuffled some blame His direction when life has been difficult.  I have chastised God for not helping when I have felt lost or abandoned.  I have questioned my beliefs, and the very existence of God, on numerous occasions...but faith and testimony always win out and, inevitably, I always return to my knees and humbly pray for forgiveness.

Moses was angry, had every right to be, and God (being a just, loving, understanding personage) allowed Moses a moment to vent - without cracking the whip.  Back to me...I have vented like Moses.  I have felt the bitter strains of anger vex my heart and mind.  The Lord has allowed me the time to vent, the space to contemplate, and ultimately, the loving embrace of a true father accepting his child's humility when I have discovered the truth.  That is the character of God!

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment