Thursday, April 11, 2013

Balaam the Bobble-Headed

Reading:   Numbers 31

I had some respect going for Mr. Balaam, especially after the whole ass incident, I mean I did write an entire blog (see Not just Son of My Father) based on the fact that Balaam had "his eyes opened" and had become a voice to the Midianites in favor of God and the Israelites; but no, he who had his eyes opened couldn't keep his mouth shut!

Let me explain...Moses was commanded to commence war against the Midianites to end their subterfuge and evil doing.  He gathered together an army of 12,000 men (1,000 from each tribe) and sent them out to destroy all those in Midian.  They accomplished their task (without any injuries, I might add)...

NUMBERS 31:7-8
7    And they warred against the Midianites, as the Lord commanded Moses; and they slew all the males.

8    And they slew the kings of Midian, beside the rest of them that were slain; namely, Evi, and Rekem, and Zur, and Hur, and Reba, five kings of Midian: Balaam also the son of Beor they slew with the sword.
Fair enough, I'm sure they had it coming, but I was quite surprised to see Balaam was killed as well - I was under the impression that he was a changed man - I was wrong.  I did some searching to discover what Balaam had done to deserve such a pitiless demise and I was quite shocked.  There were a few things that returned him to the ill graces of God but the biggest whammy came in his whisperings to Balak.  He suggested using women to infiltrate the Israelites and, unfortunately, he was extremely correct in his clever ploy.  Balaam's plan was a work of genius!  I'm sure you recall the instance of Phinehas slaying the Israelite who paraded in front of Moses with his Midianitish woman (see Phinehas and the Javelin), well, in that same chapter we learn that Moses cleaned house and that the plague of usurping Midianitish women (sent forth from Balak after whisperings from Balaam) caused the destruction of 24,000 men (Numbers 25:9) - insane!

Balaam was indeed bobble-headed and unsure as to where his allegiance should go.  He chose the most immediate satisfaction by siding with Balak and the Midianites but his glory was fleeting and his eternity of peace was thrown to the wind - so sad!

~Kipling


No comments:

Post a Comment