Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Slippery Slope of Respect

Reading:   Deuteronomy 1

To show someone respect is to show regard or consideration for that individual based on their worth, excellence, position, priveledge, etc.  It is important not to allow such esteem to weigh on any judgement that may be needed in regards to respected individuals.  It is also important to note that you may have respect for someone based on negative attributes or experience as well.  I have a healthy respect for certain political figures who continually rub me wrong.

Deuteronomy 1:17
17 Ye shall not respect persons in judgment; but ye shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God's: and the cause that is too hard for you, bring it unto me, and I will hear it. 
"...Ye shall hear the small as well as the great." Everyone deserves their chance to be heard and it is never as simple as it appears to be.  In my work I have made the mistake if "respecting" individuals based on their religious views, the character they seem to employ, dress, attitude, and sadly even stereotypical reasons such as where they are from.  There have also been occassion where I have deemed position with respect, such as police officers, bishops, judges, and the like.  But I have been burned and quite abruptly taught that any type of respect has to be earned on a personal level.  All need to be watched and evaluated before casting personal respect or esteem.

I'm talking about the false assumption of goodness.  In regards to shoplifting or retail theft, I have witnessed people that I would never bother watching because of who they are or what they represent, steal with ease and practised expertise - it's unbelievable.

In regards to alcohol, I have seen the most respected of individuals become base and animalistic in action, word, and deed because of inebriation. When sober they hide behind ignorance and feign innocence saying, "I can't remember" or "I get so crazy when I'm drunk - please don't judge me - it was the alcohol."  Yet, they return to the drink over and over despite their clouded memories and reports of stupidity - insane!

On the other hand, I have given opportunity to a drunk that no one had regard or respect for and watched as this man got his life back together and eventually returned to work in the oil field industry where he was much respected for his knowledge and ability.

It is not easy to look at two individuals, one of which you may respect in high regard or even with loathing, and then hold that individual on the same level as one you know nothing about; but, as it was for the chosen judges, we too share in the promise that if it is too hard to discren the truth, "...Bring it unto [the Lord], and [he] will hear it."

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment