Sunday, April 7, 2013

Good News for the Ladies

Reading:   Numbers 27

I have been a little perturbed by the lack of consideration for the female Israelites and the seemingly endless male chauvinism throughout the Old Testament (see The Jealousy Cocktail, 3/13/13) but today there is a shining moment of excellence in regard to women...

NUMBERS 27:8
8 And thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a man die, and have no son, then ye shall cause his inheritance to pass unto his daughter. 
What a grand gesture!  All it took was a gaggle of sisters whose father had died to come forward and say, "Excuse me, we have no brother, is it possible for us to receive our father's possessions and land as an inheritance despite our gender?"  Moses dutifully approached The Lord with the question and, to my great relief, it was granted them.  I appreciate that Moses approached God but it truly is sad that he could not decree as much without consulting the supreme being first.

Am I being petty?  Maybe someone can explain it to me...anyone...anyone...Bueller...Bueller...

~Kipling


1 comment:

  1. We all should take all our worries and cares to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete