Monday, April 1, 2013

Curses Batman!

Reading:   Numbers 23:1-13

Sorry, no Batman stories here - I just liked the relative closeness of the names Batman and Balaam.   Not to mention the references to curses in the noted verses and how well it fits the famous Robin exclamation; I ask you, would you have read this blog had it been titled, Curses Balaam? I think not, I, think not...

So then, Balaam (hopefully you read yesterday's blog so you know of whom I refer) was told by an angel to continue on with his appointment to curse the Israelites but not to follow through with the curse as he had communicated with God and knew that the Israelites were a blessed people.  Balaam agreed and when it came time to curse the Israelites, he did not.  This act baffled those that were promising riches and honor if he were to do so.  Here is his awesome response...

NUMBERS 23:8
8 How shall I curse, whom God hath not cursed? or how shall I defy, whom the Lord hath not defied? 
Pretty sweet, huh?  The main progenitor of the bribe, Balak, was obviously displeased and wondered why Balaam had blessed those he was hired to curse.  Balaam responded with another classic quote...

NUMBERS 23:12
12 And he answered and said, Must I not take heed to speak that which the Lord hath put in my mouth? 
Tell it like it is, Balaam!  What else needs to be said, right?

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment