Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Farewell to Moses

Reading:   Deuteronomy 34

Moses moves on to his reserved place of honor in the everlasting kingdom of God.  He truly was a prophet among prophets and accomplished a great deal of work in a relatively small amount of time...

DEUTERONOMY 34:10
10    And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face, 
The absolute best way to describe Moses and what he accomplished is poignantly stated in the last few words of verse 10, "the Lord knew [Moses] face to face."  Seriously, what else needs to be said?

Moving on then...the prophecy stands that there was not another prophet in Israel like Moses, but does that mean there were no other great prophets - men who had as much success as him?  Absolutely not!  Here I will leave the explanation to Elder LeGrand Richards...
We read in the Book of Mormon that when Lehi was in the desert, he told his son Joseph that the Lord had promised Joseph who was sold into Egypt that in the latter days He would raise up a prophet from his loins like unto Moses. (See 2 Ne. 3:6-9.) And we are told in holy writ that there was no prophet in Israel like unto Moses because he walked and talked with God. (See Deut. 34:10.) This is the kind of prophet that, three thousand years before Joseph Smith was born, the Lord promised Joseph of Egypt He would raise up through his loins. He said his name should be Joseph, and his father's name should be Joseph; and he said: "Unto him will I give power to bring forth my word." (2 Ne. 3:11, 15.) 

The Prophet Joseph Smith brought us the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, the Pearl of Great Price, and many other writings. As far as our records show, he has given us more revealed truth than any prophet who has ever lived upon the face of the earth. And the Lord said: "And not to the bringing forth my word only, ... but to the convincing them of my word, which shall have already gone forth among them." (2 Ne. 3:11.) What did he mean by that? That in the midst of these hundreds of churches of men-the result of men's interpretations of the scriptures because they can't agree, and these churches keep multiplying-that the Lord would give to this new prophet the ability to comprehend the scriptures that had already been sent forth among them. 

Then he adds that he shall "bring my people unto salvation." (2 Ne. 3:15.) Why? Because he would receive the holy priesthood, the power to administer the saving ordinances of the gospel. Then he adds, "And I will make him great in mine eyes." (2 Ne. 3:8.) Whatever the world may think of the Prophet Joseph Smith, there is the statement of the Lord that he would be great in His eyes. 
~ Call of the Prophets (1981 April General Conference) 
To be great in someone's eyes is to achieve respect beyond reproach.  I do not believe that such a level of esteem can be reached without personal interaction and knowledge of an individual.  It is certain that both Moses and Joseph Smith had such a relationship with God, others as well (Adam, Abraham, Samuel, the brother of Jared, and Gordon B. Hinckley, to name just a few) the important thing to note is that the relationships were personal and exceedingly intimate in nature.  I cannot see any other way of achieving such greatness in the eyes of another - faults are there and recognized but overshadowed in greatness.

Few men have reached that level of respect from me; my father tops that list and is accompanied by my grandfather, a Priest's Quorom advisor from my youth, my stake President in Alaska, and a friend of mine that has passed away.  There are several men that I respect and would do anything for, but those who are "great in my eyes," have done so much more for me than is easy to express or make known, that their positions of esteem in my eyes are simply immovable.  They are men who have certainly erred in life and yet they are such prime examples of righteousness and grit that I cannot fathom any instance that would diminish their stature to me.

Is my list done, absolutely not!  There are individuals in my life that are well on their way to achieving that level of esteem in my eyes; brothers, my children, close friends (though most have strayed - I hold on to hope that they will return), and even myself (I have a lot of work to do).

Knowing that many souls can still achieve greatness in my eyes it is easy to believe that many can still achieve likewise in the eyes of God.  His respect of persons did not end with Moses, Joseph Smith, or even our prophet today (Thomas S. Monson).  Many more can achieve!  Many more will achieve!  We all have the capability, despite our faults, to effect greatness in the eyes of our fellow men and in the eyes of God.  Accept the atonement, set goals, do what is right, and move forward with an eye single to the glory of God - done!

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment