Monday, May 6, 2013

Lincoln: A Devout Believer


Reading:   Deuteronomy 26

In an attempt to stimulate my mind and jumpstart my topic, I chose a phrase from the scriptures I had selected and did a search.  The phrase was, "an holy people."  The search yielded the Old Testament verse which produced the phrase to begin with, a lesson from the Old Testament study manual, and seven conference talks.  After a brief perusal of the titles, my eye was drawn to a talk by Mark E. Peterson, The Savor of Men (October General Conference, 1976).  I believe, without a doubt, that I was directed to this talk by the whisperings of the still small voice.

There are days that I am spent and overly frustrated with my chaotic schedule and life and contemplate the necessity for this blog and yearn to quit, then quiet moments of inspiration happen, like this one, that testify to me the need to continue.  I am truly thankful that I have endeavored to climb this mountain, to read scripture daily and write my thoughts daily.  I believe, with every fiber of my living soul, that it will touch someone, someday, and direct them to the true and everlasting gospel of Jesus Christ.  I am a child of God and He truly has, sent me here...if only for this one blog, this one day, so be it - I am grateful!

Let me first share the scriptures that seemed so dull and lifeless.  I admit that I am overly fatigued and there is little that could stimulate my mind in this state but still, the scriptures just didn't speak to me.  With frustration, and in a stupor of thought as to what I should write, I found myself questioning the Old Testament and its value compared to other scripture.  let me tell you - I was wrong!  The words of Mark E. Peterson peppered with quotes from Abraham Lincoln, have reenergized me...and originate in the very verses I so ignorantly yawned at...

DEUTERONOMY 26:18-19
18    And the Lord hath avouched thee this day to be his peculiar people, as he hath promised thee, and that thou shouldest keep all his commandments; 

19    And to make thee high above all nations which he hath made, in praise, and in name, and in honour; and that thou mayest be an holy people unto the Lord thy God, as he hath spoken. 
Here is a link to Mark E. Peterson's conference address, The Savor of Men (you can actually watch the recorded address if you scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Watch"). I wanted to paste the entire message to my blog but it is too big so you will have to read, or watch, it by following the link.

Here is a taste:
I would like to talk with you about Abraham Lincoln, man of God. 
President Lincoln was one of the great men of all time, and the reason for his greatness was his willingness to acknowledge and obey the Lord.  
He believed in God; he lived near to God; he prayed most earnestly and knew for a fact that he was guided by divine inspiration in his important work.    
Lincoln wan a devout believer in the Bible and read it often. At one time he said: 
"I decided a long time ago that it was less difficult to believe that the Bible was what it claimed to be than to disbelieve it. It is a good book for us to obey." (John Wesley Hill, Abraham Lincoln-Man of God, New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1927, 4th ed., p. 126.)  
Lincoln guided the destinies of the United States during the Civil War period by using the Bible and applying its principles. He exercised faith, and prayer, and deep humility, and out of it all he learned this great fact, as he himself expressed it:  
"I have had so many evidences of His [God's] direction, so many instances when I have been controlled by some other power than my own will, that I cannot doubt that this power comes from above. ... I am satisfied that, when the Almighty wants me to do, or not to do, a particular thing, he finds a way of letting me know it." (Ibid., p. 124.)  
Lincoln was convinced that, by and large, God controls the affairs of nations, and that when nations serve the Lord he blesses them; but when they do not, he withdraws his blessings. 
Said he:  
"It is the duty of Nations as well as of men to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God, to confess their sins and transgressions in humble sorrow, yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon, and to recognize the sublime truth announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that 'those nations only are blessed whose God is the Lord.'" (Ibid., p. 390-91.) 
With this in mind he also declared that nations, like individuals, are subject to punishments and chastisements at the hand of God. 
He believed that the Civil War was one of the punishments God brought upon America because it tolerated slavery. He knew that slavery was wrong, and that the nation could not endure half slave and half free, and therefore took the necessary steps to free the slaves.
One day he declared: "If we do not do right, God will let us go our own way to ruin; and ... if we do right, He will lead us safely out of this wilderness, crown our arms with victory and restore our dissevered Union." (Ibid. p. 129.) 
And then, thrillingly, he said: "I know I am right, because I know that liberty is right, for Christ teaches it, and Christ is God." (Ibid., p. 285-86; italics added.) 
Again Lincoln said: "I seem to know that Providence has protected and will protect us against any fatal defeat. All we have to do is to trust the Almighty, and keep on obeying His orders and executing His will." (Ibid., p. 126.) 
"That the Almighty ... directly intervenes in human affairs, is one of the plainest statements in the Bible," the great Civil War leader declared. (Ibid., p. 124)...
Admit it - you are hooked.  Now click on the link and read the rest - then watch it!  Needless-to-say, I will be reading the Old Testament with a renewed vigor.  As Lincoln said, "It is a good book for us to obey."

~Kipling


No comments:

Post a Comment