Sunday, May 12, 2013

Pick Your Literal Poison

Reading:   Deuteronomy 32

I have mentioned, once or twice, the importance of having a worthwhile occupation (not a job per say but the driving force of who you are).  Some people find their days, thoughts, etc., occupied by a particular television show (MASH, Friends, Star Trek, Survivor, Beauty & the Beast,... whatever).  Others are enamored by a particular sports team or being green.  Some are, in fact, wrapped up in their chosen field of study and find little time for anything else. Fishing, reading, lifting weights, cooking, running, I could go on...all of these can become intoxications that pull an individual from spiritual growth and ultimately cause a sense of zealousness that is blinding.

DEUTERONOMY 32:33
33 Their wine is the poison of dragons, and the cruel venom of asps. 
To drink from whatever it is that gets you up in the morning - your reason for life - means you live life in a way that revolves around that thing and all else is subsequent and subject to the dictates of your chosen "wine." This is the pitfall of idol worship and the Lord will have His vengeance!

DEUTERONOMY 32:39
39    See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. 
It is not bad to have passion for something but it becomes bad when that thing becomes life and the one overriding cause for your very existence.

Don't drink the poison!

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment