Thursday, May 9, 2013

Blinded, Drunk, and Thirsty

Reading:   Deuteronomy 29

In discussing the deadly sorrows to be gained in idol worship, I found it intensely interesting that there is a voice given to he that is found to be of that caustic root (an idol worshipper).  Verse nineteen gives an ignorant voice to such a fool...

DEUTERONOMY 29:18-19
18 Lest there should be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turneth away this day from the Lord our God, to go and serve the gods of these nations; lest there should be among you a root that beareth gall and wormwood; 

19 And it come to pass, when he heareth the words of this curse, that he bless himself in his heart, saying, I shall have peace, though I walk in the imagination of mine heart, to add drunkenness to thirst: 
This blinded idol worshipper sees not a curse but a blessing and finds cause to be at peace in his comfortable ignorance.  He believes in the fairy tale truths and fanciful enticements of whichever idol has beguiled him and walks upright in the imaginations of his heart, never seeing the reality of his path.  He truly is a poisonous root that leads others to drink from the intoxicating well of falsehoods that he believes are quenching his ever-growing thirst.

In reference to the many biblical warnings against idol worship, Matthew Henry stated...
O that presumptuous sinners would read it and tremble! For it is not a bug-bear to frighten children and fools, but a real declaration of the wrath of God against the ungodliness and the unrighteousness of men...
I agree
Matthew Henry
I agree!

I agree 
Whole-heartedly, yes
I agree!

I agree
And refuse not to see...
I agree!


I agree
To the nth degree I decree, 
I agree!


~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment