Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Attributes of God


Reading:   Lectures on Faith: Lecture Fourth 1-10

The lectures on Faith were classes of instruction given "... On the Doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, originally delivered before a Class of the Elders, in Kirtland, Ohio."


MERRY CHRISTMAS!!


Yeah...these lectures are going to take me to the end of 2012 for sure!  I honestly don't believe I will get much else read (they are a little longer and certainly more in-depth than I expected - but in a good thoughtful way).

So, Lecture Fourth teaches us the attributes of God; for me however, understanding from the previous lectures that God is all, it seems redundant to break down specific attributes, I mean, omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent, should cover it - shouldn't it?  Anyway, like the oft repeated and likewise redundant, "knock and it shall be opened unto you," it is obvious I must learn more.  So I shall indulge the brethren and read on, blog on, with much diligence...

First, what is the difference between attributes and characteristics?  After some exhaustive research (not really), I am still not quite clear as to the separation but will give it a good solid shot in the arm for you.  As I understand it, characteristics are the combination of attributes and traits that make an individual who he is.  Attributes are the qualities of an individual, the compliments; the good things that make a person who they are.  Traits are the things that make up an individuals behavior, both good and bad.

So, in regards to the reading, the attributes of God are similar to the characteristics because there is no negative behavior to mold His character.  God's character is comprised of attributes only!

LECTURE FOURTH (3)

3. Having said so much, we shall proceed to examine the attributes of God, as set forth in His revelations to the human family, and to show how necessary correct ideas of His attributes are to enable men to exercise faith in Him; for without these ideas being planted in the minds of men it would be out of the power of any person or persons to exercise faith in God so as to obtain eternal life. So that the divine communications made to men in the first instance were designed to establish in their minds the ideas necessary to enable them to exercise faith in God, and through this means to be partakers of His glory.

To be a "partaker of His glory," I must understand the vitality of his attributes, the direction and path by which my faith should cling and grow; otherwise I will not have the power to obtain eternal life because my faith will be lacking...okay, that seems important!


The attributes are:

  • KNOWLEDGE
  • POWER
  • JUSTICE
  • JUDGEMENT
  • MERCY
  • TRUTH
I am going to leave the defining of these attributes to tomorrow's blog, after I read the definitions provided by the brethren (I say brethren because there is no defining author for the Lectures on Faith. It is believed that the First Presidency wrote them with the primary authorship going to Sidney Rigdon but there is no conclusive proof to support that fact - so "brethren," it shall remain).

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment