Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tabernacle of Clay

***ALERT***ATTENTION***ALERT***
There has been a blogjam...the last several posts were not successfully published and I was unaware of the problem until recently.   The grievous error has been remedied and all posts are now active, sorry for the mishap and do please go back and read what you have missed (some good stuff).  Thank you!
***ALERT***ATTENTION***ALERT***

Reading:   Moroni 1-9

The book of Moroni, the last book in the Book of Mormon, is unique and quite unintentional.  Let me explain...Moroni did not expect to live too long after the battle of Cumorah.  He was sure he would be discovered by the Lamanites and killed - no way did he expect to be wandering the earth for another 21-years.  He abridged the record of Ether concerning the rise and fall of the Jaredites and then, I am sure, expected he would die or be called back to heaven shortly thereafter - didn't happen.  So, having nothing else to do, he writes some more...

MORONI 1:1-4

1    Now I, Moroni, after having made an end of abridging the account of the people of Jared, I had supposed not to have written more, but I have not as yet perished; and I make not myself known to the Lamanites lest they should destroy me. 

2    For behold, their wars are exceedingly fierce among themselves; and because of their hatred they put to death every Nephite that will not deny the Christ. 

3    And I, Moroni, will not deny the Christ; wherefore, I wander whithersoever I can for the safety of mine own life. 

4    Wherefore, I write a few more things, contrary to that which I had supposed; for I had supposed not to have written any more; but I write a few more things, that perhaps they may be of worth unto my brethren, the Lamanites, in some future day, according to the will of the Lord. 

Over the course of the next 9 chapters, Moroni imparts some very vital information:
   The inappropriate practice of baptizing children
   Both sacramental prayers are given
   The order of ordination to priesthood offices
   Confirmation of the Holy Ghost after baptism (process)
   Importance of church attendance
   Faith, hope, charity, and a great bit on miracles

One of the best verses comes from an epistle that Moroni adds - one he received from his father Mormon.  In it Mormon encourages Moroni to continue on in all diligence and, though the people were increasingly wicked and seemed doomed to their devastation, Mormon says...

MORONI 9:6

6    And now, my beloved son, notwithstanding their hardness, let us labor diligently; for if we should cease to labor, we should be brought under condemnation; for we have a labor to perform whilst in this tabernacle of clay, that we may conquer the enemy of all righteousness, and rest our souls in the kingdom of God. 

"...whilst in this tabernacle of clay..."  I love that line and so true it is - labor diligently while we reside in this probationary state, in these bodies of mortal flesh, and rest when we return to dwell in glory with God!

I'm so thankful Moroni had not perished, I'm sad that he had to wander alone for twenty plus years, but, the book of Moroni is so important to us and definitely a testimony builder for me!

~Kipling
 

No comments:

Post a Comment