Sunday, December 23, 2012

Divine Characteristics


Reading:   Lectures on Faith: Lecture Third 1-18

The lectures on Faith were classes of instruction given "... On the Doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, originally delivered before a Class of the Elders, in Kirtland, Ohio."


Having now an understanding that faith is the first principle of power and that the object of faith is God, the lectures now focus deeper on the object of faith - taking the basic notion that there is a God and detailing the characteristics of that notion to better materialize the reality of Him for us.


LECTURE THIRD (12-18)


12. From the foregoing testimonies we learn the following things respecting the character of God:


13. First, that He was God before the world was created, and the same God that He was after it was created. 

14. Secondly, that He is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, abundant in goodness, and that He was so from everlasting, and will be to everlasting. 

15. Thirdly, that He changes not, neither is there variableness with Him; but that He is the same from everlasting to everlasting, being the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that His course is one eternal round, without variation. 

16. Fourthly, that He is a God of truth and cannot lie. 

17. Fifthly, that He is no respecter of persons: but in every nation he that fears God and works righteousness is accepted of Him. 

18. Sixthly, that He is love. 

He does not alter, not one tittle, He is the same then (before the world was), now, and shall remain the same forever.  He is the absolute personification of truth and love.  "...His course is one eternal round, without variation," and that is something we, as fallible mortals, can bet on - a sure thing!  


A personal experience comes to mind here, in relation to God as the personification of truth and love.  I recall as a teenager struggling greatly with some moral and spiritual decisions.  I knew what I should do and also knew it would be exceedingly difficult so really wanted to pursue another avenue (basically not go on a mission and pursue a relationship).  On one particular evening I lay on the floor in my bedroom physically racked with this tremendous choice.  At some point I looked up at a picture that hung in my room, one that I was acutely familiar with, it was a picture of the Savior and the words, "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it."  This time, however, something was different, I stared at the picture and The Lord's face would not come into focus for me.  I then reflected on the words and there too I discovered a difference, the phrase read, "I never said it would be worth it, I only said it would be easy."  A coldness enveloped me and I knew, without a doubt that I was looking at a picture of Lucifer and his words resonated in me.  I lay there, unable to take my eyes from the picture and certain of the rigid truth in the words I read.  I recall asking my father in heaven for help, pleading for a change in the picture - a return to the loving gaze of Jesus.  The out-of-focus, cold stare of Satan retracted and the defined, loving face of Christ returned.  I read the phrase, the memorized mantra, "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it."  I went on a mission, it was hard, one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life; but it was worth it!

That single characteristic, truth, has been a flame by which I have guided my life through many struggles.  I know God loves me and I know every word of his gospel is True and unwavering.  My compass, if set toward Him, will guide me true every time!

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment