Saturday, March 23, 2013

A Grand Wager

Reading:   Numbers 14

Yesterday I guessed that the Israelites would start murmuring again after scouts expressed concern about the giant Canaanites they were about to encounter, well, I was right, in fact there was a faction of the people who began preparations for a return to Egypt and their happy existence as slaves.  I also wondered if Moses would ever just give up on the ignorant Israelites and simply walk away but concluded that was highly unlikely.  I was right on that account too but the funny thing is, God was fed up, check out His response...

NUMBERS 14:11-12
11    And the Lord said unto Moses, How long will this people provoke me? and how long will it be ere they believe me, for all the signs which I have shewed among them? 

12    I will smite them with the pestilence, and disinherit them, and will make of thee a greater nation and mightier than they. 
Now, if it were me, "Great, do it!  I'm done with them too, burn 'em out!" I am sure that the majority of elders in the council of seventy echoed that sentiment (maybe not Eldad and Medad but the others); Moses, not so much, he just pressed on in his faith and belief that the people would come around, again, and all would be fine in time - unbelievable!

I've come to the conclusion that it was not all the fault of ignorance and feeble-mindedness among the Israelites but in fact a grand wager between God and Satan, much like the instance of Job, only this time it is wagered over Moses and carried out in the action of the Israelites.  God believed nothing could make Moses waver in his faith and Satan used every means possible to prove God wrong.  Got to go with the Moses odds on this one...

Okay, maybe not, but seriously, the Israelites have become really obnoxious in their constant murmuring and The Lord did tempt Moses by giving him the option to start over.  Moses resisted time and again and, much to the delight of God, stood up straight and confronted his people again, wholly believing they would return in faith - awesome!

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment