Friday, March 8, 2013

The Dichotomy of Choice

Reading:   Leviticus 26-27

The majority of Leviticus has been about the many laws Moses received for the governing of the Israelites while attending God at Mount Sinai. The closing two chapters of the book seal up these laws with a grand promise of what shall happen in obedience and also what is in store for disobedience...

LEVITICUS 26:3, 6-8, 15-17
3    If ye walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them; 

6    And I will give peace in the land, and ye shall lie down, and none shall make you afraid: and I will rid evil beasts out of the land, neither shall the sword go through your land. 

7    And ye shall chase your enemies, and they shall fall before you by the sword. 

8    And five of you shall chase an hundred, and an hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight: and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword. 

15    And if ye shall despise my statutes, or if your soul abhor my judgments, so that ye will not do all my commandments, but that ye break my covenant: 

16    I also will do this unto you; I will even appoint over you terror, consumption, and the burning ague, that shall consume the eyes, and cause sorrow of heart: and ye shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it. 

17    And I will set my face against you, and ye shall be slain before your enemies: they that hate you shall reign over you; and ye shall flee when none pursueth you. 
Which do you prefer?  I love a good underdog story so, for me, the idea of four of my closest friends and I giving chase to a hundred, is quite appealing; whereas running away without even the threat of a pursuer, well, not part of my physical make-up.  I choose the former!

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment