Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Worthy Inheritance

Reading:   Numbers 18:8-32

I can't understand the whole idea of inheritance because it has never been a concept I could personally relate to.  Not that there aren't things possessed by my parents that I would greatly appreciate but primarily because I would miss my parents more than any sum of money or thing of value could replace.  I do hope, that as a parent, I have raised my children to appreciate me more than my stuff (remains to be seen).  It is hard then, for me to comprehend the loss of an inheritance but I'm sure it is, and has been, a devastating prospect to those bent on such things.

NUMBERS 18:20
20 And the Lord spake unto Aaron, Thou shalt have no inheritance in their land, neither shalt thou have any part among them: I am thy part and thine inheritance among the children of Israel. 
Okay, so if I were a Levite and privy to all the lands and possessions had by cousins in other tribes, yeah, I might question my value somewhat. Ah, but then discovering that my portion of inheritance lay within God, well, I might find myself a little puffed up and prideful at times.  Now, given that the majority of Israelites were so quick to turn away from the numerous miracles wrought by God, maybe there was a spiteful concern that their inheritance was not tangible but I refuse to believe the larger portion of Levites didn't see the value in their new inheritance - they had to, right?

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment