Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Vow is a Vow is a Vow

Reading:   Numbers 6

Today I'm doing a little light-hearted dissection of a verse that made me laugh...

NUMBERS 6:2
2    Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the Lord: 
I love the expression, "...to vow a vow," I find it quite comical though I am quite aware that humor has no place in any type of vow.  My day was a bit sour-going but the vow a vow a vow was enough to make me smile and forget my foolish woes.  I know it's silly but why must we read the Bible with the air of solemnity?  I did not want to read today but found a moment and somehow overcame the frustration and doubt.  I read and -BOOM- I discovered some joy and happiness in the most unlikely place.

Now to explain what a "Nazarite" is so that the vow might be understood in a little more light, more so than the simple notation, "...to separate themselves unto The Lord."
The Nazarites were devoted to the Lord during the time of their Nazariteship, and, it is probable, spent much of their time in the study of the law, in acts of devotion, and instructing others. An air of piety was thereby put upon them, and upon their whole conversation. They were separated from common persons and common things. Those that are consecrated to God must not be conformed to this world. They distinguished themselves, not only from others, but from what they themselves were before and after. They separated themselves by vowing a vow. Every Israelite was bound by the divine law to love God with all his heart, but the Nazarites by their own act and deed bound themselves to some religious observances, as fruits and expressions of that love, which other Israelites were not bound to. Some such there were, whose spirits God stirred up to be in their day the ornaments of the church, the standard-bearers of religion, and patterns of piety. It is spoken of as a great favour to their nation that God raised up of their young men for Nazarites (Amos 2:11)... 
~Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible
I think that sums it up nicely. Thank you, Mr. Henry, for being there yet again.

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment