Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Convocation of Highest Priority

Reading:   Leviticus 23

I don't have much time today so I picked an easy verse - yet another reminder of a commandment that I have touched on before but needs ever repeating...

LEVITICUS 23:3
3    Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings. 
A quick definition for the word "convocation" which means a solemn gathering or an assembly of people.  In this case, convocation means, "a day of holy assembly."

In regards to gathering together in holy convocation, it isn't always an easy thing to attend meetings on Sunday, and even more so, I have found it difficult to sit and listen to the semi-annual broadcasts of General Conference.  In my mind it has become a free Sunday, one of relaxation and family and maybe an attempt to have the broadcast playing in the background (for the Sunday sessions anyway, Saturday sessions have rarely been given much thought).  This is the wrong attitude and I certainly need to repent and do better...this past conference (October 2013) I made more of an effort to listen and truly felt the power of testimony from the words of our prophet, apostles, and general authorities.  Of all the holy convocations which I need to attend, General Conference should be the most high in priority!  How have I let it slip?  Weekly church attendance is certainly important but twice a year the prophet and apostles speak and I need to listen!  I have been a horrid example to my children and desperately need to right that wayward ship.

What has been even more eye-opening, in regard to the importance of conference, has been this daily blog - I am constantly being inspired by conference talks and quite often find myself reading entire talks instead of the referenced portion.  I have referenced tons of talks and will continue to do so.  What better testament than that to the importance of conference?!

Look at that...I picked a quick verse to do a quick blog and I have just typed out a long winded blast on the importance of conference.  Well, might as well throw in a quote from one of our most beloved prophets of recent years, Gordon B. Hinckley; This quote comes from his opening remarks on the Saturday morning session, October 1996, and speaks of how we are to listen...
 I invite you to listen, listen if you will by the power of the Spirit, to the speakers who will address you today and tomorrow as well as this evening. If you will do so, I do not hesitate to promise that you will be uplifted, your resolution to do what is right will be stronger, you will find solutions to your problems and your needs, and you will be led to thank the Lord for what you have heard. 

 We have become as a great family spread across this vast world. We speak different tongues. We live under a variety of circumstances. But in the heart of each of us beats a common testimony: You and I know that God lives and is at the helm of this His holy work. We know that Jesus is our Redeemer, who stands at the head of this Church which carries His name. We know that Joseph Smith was a prophet and is a prophet who stands at the head of this the dispensation of the fulness of times. We know that the priesthood was restored upon his head and that it has come down to us in this day in an unbroken line. We know that the Book of Mormon is a true testament of the reality and divinity of the Lord Jesus Christ. Our testimony of these and other matters will be strengthened, our faith will be deepened as we participate together in this great and sacred convocation. 

 For this I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 
If we can apply those same words to all our church attendance, not just conference, and do as the prophet asked, I too believe, truly believe, that answers will come and doors will be opened.

I want to echo the words of our prophet and proclaim that I too have a testimony of Jesus Christ and His redeeming love for me.  I have a testimony of the scriptures that is strengthened daily as I read, ponder, and write.  I believe in God, His omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence.  He is my Heavenly Father and the source of my faith.  I know this church is true and was restored by Joseph Smith through the hand of God.  I absolutely believe in the power of the priesthood and have felt it
burn through my body and soul as I have been blessed to lay my hands upon the heads of those in need and invoke the name of Jesus Christ.  I am blessed. I am loved.  I am thankful for my wife and children and family and friends - I am a better person because of those that surround me!

Go to church! Listen to conference!

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment