Thursday, March 7, 2013

Swelling of the Heart

Reading:   Leviticus 25

Taking care of each other in times of need Is a constant theme throughout the scriptures and here it is boldly stated again.  Keep in mind that when God speaks of "brother" He is not restricting our required charity to blood relations.  It is clear that by "brother" He means any downtrodden soul, "stranger," or "sojourner," that needs assistance...

LEVITICUS 25:35-37
35 And if thy brother be waxen poor, and fallen in decay with thee; then thou shalt relieve him: yea, though he be a stranger, or a sojourner; that he may live with thee.

36 Take thou no usury of him, or increase: but fear thy God; that thy brother may live with thee.

37 Thou shalt not give him thy money upon usury, nor lend him thy victuals for increase.
The word "usury" is another way of saying, "debt."  So we are not, in our charitable acts, to expect or accept any form of payment.  We are also not to provide any type of increase to those we assist with expected repayment; a loan for example.  If we want to aid our brethren with increase, wether a financial stipend, clothing, or what-have-you, it should be done without the caveat of repayment.

Angela and I have never had the financial security to help others in their poverty, in fact we have been the impoverished quite often and have had to humble ourselves to ask for assistance.  However, we have always had an open door for those in need.  Many a refugee from life has lived under our roof and sat at our table.  Just as we have been sheltered and fed from family and friends in our desperate hours, we too have never closed our door or pantry to those in need.  Our home has been somewhat chaotic at times because of our willingness to share and on occasion our children have felt a bit put-out but I have never regretted sharing our home.  Yes, we have had some that have taken advantage of our open hospitality; still, we are a stronger family, a closer family, because of our unselfishness despite those few disagreeable moments.

Quite often I have come home from a hard day and found several unfamiliar faces partaking of a meal my sweet wife has prepared.  Sometimes I barely get a portion of the food and wish I had more but I have found her willingness to cook and provide for all a very attractive quality and simply smile.  "Sorry," she will say in a whisper as I am handed whatever might be left, if anything, but I find myself filled by her charitable service and can only laugh and shake off her concern for my well being.  It's these little actions that have endeared her to me:

"I've invited so-and-so to eat, hope you don't mind."

"So-and-so is going to stay with us for a few weeks/months - is that okay?"

"Please don't eat any of this pie/cake/cookies/lasagna/etc, I made it for so-on-so who is struggling with something or other."

"I know we can't afford it but I just bought some glasses for so-and-so..."

The list goes on and on and she questions her beauty?  I do love her so and absolutely believe that my children are learning a lesson from her example that cannot be quantified.  I have seen each of them do something for another that can only be attributed to the way we have raised them and pray they will always hold dearly to those values.

Charity is not a badge or honor that can be displayed - it is a swelling of the heart that strengthens the soul.

~Kipling



No comments:

Post a Comment