Friday, November 9, 2012

Compelled to keep their Oath

Reading:   Alma 53

The Anti-Nephi-Lehi's, also known as the people of Ammon, made an oath never to take up their weapons again (these are the people that preferred to kneel down and die against their attackers rather than fight).  So they have been living with the Nephites, for approximately 25 years, under their constant protection.  Now remember these people, "... never did look upon death with any degree of terror, for their hope and views of Christ and the resurrection; therefore, death was swallowed up to them by the victory of Christ over it (Alma 27:28)."  In other words, they weren't afraid to die because they knew that they would be blessed again in the presence of God; however, they are now beginning to feel bad - having watched the Nephites continually war against the wicked part of the Lamanites.  They are not afraid to die but are remorseful and sad that so many Nephites die in their protection.  They start to waver on their solemn oath...

ALMA 53:13-15

13    But it came to pass that when they saw the danger, and the many afflictions and tribulations which the Nephites bore for them, they were moved with compassion and were desirous to take up arms in the defence of their country. 

14    But behold, as they were about to take their weapons of war, they were overpowered by the persuasions of Helaman and his brethren, for they were about to break the oath which they had made. 

15    And Helaman feared lest by so doing they should lose their souls; therefore all those who had entered into this covenant were compelled to behold their brethren wade through their afflictions, in their dangerous circumstances at this time. 

I love this!  They were "...OVERPOWERED by the persuasions of Helaman and his brethren!"  Helaman would rather die himself and even sacrifice his brethren (good thing his brethren agreed with him) rather than see these people betray an oath they had so diligently kept for so long.

I want to be that guy; willing to do whatever it takes to compel my children, friends, family, to keep their covenants.  I sometimes wish I had the words, the power, to persuade someone from sin but often get so caught up in my own issues that I don't want to seem hypocritical.  I'm working on this weakness and feel so grateful for those that have compelled me to keep my covenants (often times not even aware that they are doing so).

I know that there have been times that the Lord has prompted me, strongly, to keep quiet.  "Now is not the time," I hear.  "Be patient.  The time will come - be ready."  I have been mindful of these promptings and truly hope that I am ready when the time comes for me to speak, act, even overpower and compel someone to righteousness...

~Kipling


No comments:

Post a Comment