Thursday, November 8, 2012

Defining Prosperous

Reading:   Alma 50-52

In the scriptures, all the scriptures, we are repeatedly told that if we keep the commandments we shall  prosper in the land and if we don't, we have no promise.  In fact, it is hammered upon to the tune of 34 times!  Ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto is another oft repeated verse but only 16 times - half the other.  So my question is; what does it mean to prosper?  First let's throw the scripture out there (one instance of the thirtyfour mentions)...

ALMA 50:20

20    Blessed art thou and thy children; and they shall be blessed, inasmuch as they shall keep my commandments they shall prosper in the land. But remember, inasmuch as they will not keep my commandments they shall be cut off from the presence of the Lord. 

I understand the reason for repetition, mainly because we are so quick to forget, but still, what does prosper mean?  Some common defenitions (found through various Internet dictionaries etc.) are:
   To be successful
   To be fortunate
   To make gain
   To increase
   To thrive

All fair definitions I think, but also, all very subjective to the individual.  Simply put, it's a mind set...if I allow myself to be angry because I'm behind on rent and can't make ends meet even with four jobs.  Well, that is me, my perception based on the parameters of my peer group and how I value success.  A poor man finds success, and deems himself prosperous, if he can put one meal on the table a day.  A transient may feel the same if he can find sufficient shelter for the night.  Perspective people!

I feel as though I am keeping the commandments and find myself angry that I am not prosperous, willing to scoff at the Lord's oft repeated promise, finding my faith wavering.  I chose this verse because I keep seeing it but I'm not hearing it...yes, I'm bitter, I can't get my children the things they need or desire.  My wife has to work multiple jobs as well and therefore we have less time for the kid and even lesser time with each other.

 How do I change my thinking?  It's the glass half full syndrome - more emphasis needs to be placed on the closeness of my family, our love for one another, the feeling in my home that draws people to it (friends of the kids, relatives, missionaries, etc) despite its cramped quarters.  We, Angela and I, are successful, very much so.  We are fortunate and do thrive in our struggles, our learning how to smile despite it all.  We may not be increasing financially or in the scale of "things" but I know their is increase, unseen increase in spirit and armor. We are in a relative survival mode and yet still find cause for smiles and laughter.  We are making it. If the purpose of life is to find happiness, how can I complain?  My parents taught me the joys of happiness without "stuff."  My brothers and sisters constantly give me cause to rejoice in laughter.  My children are amazing troopers with little complaint that actually enjoy hanging out with Angela and I.  And Angela, well, despite her illness, her multiple jobs, her stressful schedule and drawer full of required medications, she still does it all and somehow finds time to make my heart flutter.  I am blessed and very prosperous indeed!

~Kipling

Oh, by the way, our good friend Amalickiah finally meets his inglorious end in chapter 51.  After five years reigning as king he assembles another invincible army (so he thinks) and sets out to make good on his promise to drink the blood of Moroni.  Sadly, after a long brutal battle, with much death on both sides, he, and his army sleep and Teancum, one of Moroni's generals, slips into the Lamanite camp undetected, slips also into Amalickiah's tent, and puts a javelin in his heart. End of an era!

No comments:

Post a Comment