Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Edge of Kipling

Reading:   3 Nephi 14

There is an interesting twist in the thinking of the verse today - a twist for me anyway.  I have often come across this verse and wrestled with its meaning because I feel as though my mind works a little differently than most in cases of confrontation...

3 NEPHI 14:12

12    Therefore, all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them, for this is the law and the prophets. 

So how does this work when there are times I have truly desired for some idiot to throw a punch or kick at me so that I can reciprocate with like aggression?  I admit my attitude here does not lean in the right direction but I can't say I want, or even wish, to think otherwise.


I am not saying that I am going to aggressively assault someone (I'm not 18 anymore) what I mean is that I don't necessarily "want" my fellow men to treat me with kindness and love all the time.  If someone approaches me with disdain and anger I don't immediately wish he treated me with kindness and love, I greatly desire for him to assault me, JUST DO IT! That is what I want him to do unto me so that I can feel justified in doing the same unto him.  That's just me.

In the case of aggressive behavior, contention, and the like, I want to make it clear that I do not find cause to enflame or propagate such action, exactly the opposite; I like to think of myself as more of a cooler, wanting to end such outbursts amongst others swiftly (bouncer mentality).  Fight breaks out, I end the fight.  But there has to be an edge to someone like me.  A hint of malice and danger, I know that I'm not a real approachable guy and because of that I don't socialize in lots of circles but I'm okay with that.  I like the edge of me and don't feel like it is a negative trait but one that is needed - we can't all be Gandhi.  Moroni, Helaman, Teancum, Gidgidoni; these are The Lord's Generals and proof that peace is not always possible and that aggression is sometimes met with the like.

Now I know that The Lord is right and that I must elevate above that carnal need to repress my oppressors.  I can maintain the edge of me but need also to want only love and kindness from all and to dole out the same - I'm working on it.

~Kipling

2 comments:

  1. This post reminds me of many years ago when I had to change the way I taught the "Golden Rule" to my daughter. I was teaching her that we must treat others the way we want to be treated. Despite my efforts to make this sink in, she was treating people terribly. Finally, I sat her down and asked her why she was acting this way and I compared her actions to the "Golden Rule". She then told me that she didn't care if someone treated her bad. She wanted to be able to treat them bad. I then modified the "Golden Rule" to be: "Treat others as they should be treated". I think this meshes well with the verse quoted. We must treat people right.

    David Fullmer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comment David! I appreciate you taking the time to relate such a relevant experience. I absolutley agree, "Treat others as they should be treated." We could even add on to that in order to make it more interpretation free, "Treat others as Jesus would treat them."

    ReplyDelete