Saturday, November 24, 2012

Defeat the Mind of Contention

Reading:   3 Nephi 11

The people are visited by the Savior and I love the first thing He says after descending from the heavens,

3 NEPHI 11:10

10    Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world. 

Makes the point immediately that all the prophets were right and that He is the very one prophesied of.  He then goes on to discuss the ordinance of baptism, no small talk or discussion of anything else, directly into baptism!  Must be important...

He then discusses contention and that, my friends, is what I find poignant today...

3 NEPHI 11:29

29    For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another. 

The spirit of contention is serious - more so when it's personal.  What do I mean?  I'm talking about those fights within, the inner battles with personal choice and struggle.  I find more contention and anger caused externally when I'm at odds with myself internally - make sense, doubt it, but I know what I mean.  Okay, how to explain, the father of contention knows that in order to swindle us mortals to commit acts of serious contention and anger against our fellow man he must first flame a spark of frustration within us personally.  If I am stressed or frustrated about something in my personal life it's easier for me to lash out at others, join in riotous talk about sensitive issues, or verbally bash those I don't particularly like.

By what other means might a man grow in anger than by having his heart stirred first...Satan knows the weaknesses of us all, he knows the buttons to push, he has the keys to mix our emotions into a frenzy of action.  So how do we avoid the stirring of our inner pot? How do we temper the boiling of our soul?
"There are no contests in the Art of Peace. A true warrior is invincible because he or she contests with nothing. Defeat means to defeat the mind of contention that we harbor within." 
           -Morihei Ueshiba (founder of the martial art of Aikido)
Each of us are aging and changing and what might have worked yesterday may not work today and what works today may not work tomorrow; however, as Satan will ever find the means to stir us with new and exciting captivation and frustrations we too must find ways to constantly stir our minds and hearts to righteousness.  I have found a way to damper my contentious stirrings by writing this blog.  I pray, that as the father of contention finds a new way to assault me, that I might be ready, arm myself sufficiently, and be a true warrior in the art of peace...


~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment