Friday, November 2, 2012

No Mere Mortal

Reading:   Alma 33-34

The atonement is discussed throughout the scriptures. An ultimate sacrifice for all mankind.  A sacrifice to encompass all sins and allow all who believe the opportunity for repentance.  I know it is difficult to understand the vastness of the atonement and therefore it's best understood on a personal level - how it pertains to you and I personally.  My sins are forgiven me if I simply (I know it's not always simple) believe in the savior and have faith that the atonement did occur and that it was for me, He did this for me.  But why did it have to be accomplished by the Son of God...

ALMA 34:10-12

10    For it is expedient that there should be a great and last sacrifice; yea, not a sacrifice of man, neither of beast, neither of any manner of fowl; for it shall not be a human sacrifice; but it must be an infinite and eternal sacrifice. 

11    Now there is not any man that can sacrifice his own blood which will atone for the sins of another. Now, if a man murdereth, behold will our law, which is just, take the life of his brother? I say unto you, Nay. 

12    But the law requireth the life of him who hath murdered; therefore there can be nothing which is short of an infinite atonement which will suffice for the sins of the world. 

A mere mortal could not accomplish the grandeur of the atonement.  If a man murder, "...there is not any man that can sacrifice his own blood [to] atone for the sin of [that man]."  In other words, the atonement has to encompass all sin, including murder, and if a murderer repents of his sin, truly, believing in the atonement and having faith that even his grievous sin can be forgiven, well, it has to be covered, and it is.  A life for a life cannot be covered by the blood of another man it has to be covered my the man who shed the blood.  But the blood of one who is infinite and eternal can suffice.     The atonement of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, encompasses all even one that commits murder and therefore why not us?

I think the selected scriptures are pretty clear in that regard and maybe I just muddled up the clarity and if so , I apologize.  Sometimes my talking out loud (writing in this case) can make too many circles around the same point and thereby cause a fog which makes the point more difficult to access but I enjoy the process...

~Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment